Motorcycle Insurance Laws and Coverage Pennsylvania

This past weekend we did a motorcycle show in Northampton known as the “Spring Thaw Rendezvous”. It was a beautiful day and as such it was very well attended.

Motorcycle insurance laws PennsylvaniaWe set up our Pennsylvania motorcycle law firm booth and gave away all types of free motorcycle related materials including kickstand plates, bottle openers, pens, magnets, etc. It also gave us the opportunity to meet some clients we have never met before and to say hello to some old clients.

The following morning I gave a short lecture on Pennsylvania motorcycle insurance laws and coverage at Indian Valley H.O.G. which is the chapter associated with Dean’s Harley Davidson in Sellersville, PA. The officers of the club had invited me to speak because, as an experienced Pennsylvania motorcycle accident attorney, I am able to lecture on many topics as they relate to your motorcycle. Many members, as requested, brought their motorcycle insurance Declarations Page and I explained which coverages I recommend, so that if you ever find yourself in the need of a motorcycle accident lawyer, you will have the coverage you need to ensure that you are financially protected.

Many people took the opportunity to wait in line and speak with me after my lecture, as they don’t typically cross paths with a motorcycle injury attorney. As a recap for my motorcycle blog readers, I advised that currently I recommend the State Farm Insurance Company, if you already have your automobiles insured with State Farm; they are the only carrier that allows you to stack your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage onto your automobiles.

If you do not have State Farm, then I would recommend the Rider Insurance Company, or the Foremost Insurance Company, to cover your motorcycle. I have found them to be very responsive if you are involved in a motorcycle accident.

I was also asked what insurance coverages I would recommend so here they all are in order:

  • Bodily Injury Liability – this coverage protects you financially if you injure some one else and therefore, at a minimum, I would recommend $100,000/$300,000 per accident.
  • Property Damage – this is the coverage that will pay for someone else’s property if you are involved in a collision. If you ride in group I would suggest a minimum of $50,000 of this coverage.
  • Medical Coverage – Be advised that most motorcycle policies do not offer this coverage but if you do want it, most will sell it to you but usually in an amount of no more than $5,000.
  • Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage – this is relatively self explanatory however where it becomes tricky is that although you may have $100,000 in Bodily Injury Coverage, many people still have not taken the opportunity to raise their limits of uninsured/underinsured coverage to an amount that is equal to the amount of Bodily Injury coverage that they chose. In other words, if you have a $100,000 in Bodily Injury coverage, you are absolutely entitled by law to have the same amount of uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. I urge you to check your Declaration Pages right now and if the amount of UM/UIM coverage does not equal the amount of Bodily Injury coverage, call your agent and immediately raise your limits.
  • Stacking – stacking simply means if you have more than one motorcycle, or even if you only have one motorcycle, it gives you the right to literally “stack” your uninsured or underinsured motorist benefits onto any other vehicle that you may be injured in. For example, if you are a passenger in someone else’s vehicle and you are hit by an uninsured motorist, you could get the amount of uninsured motorist coverage and then you can “stack” onto your motorcycles uninsured/underinsured coverage – in essence “stacking” one policy onto the other. If you have more than one motorcycle and you stack your uninsured or underinsured motorist benefits, you could get coverage on the vehicle you were in and then “stack” the uninsured/underinsured on your bikes.
  • Collision/Comprehensive/Fire/Theft/Auto – most people are familiar with these coverages however not everybody has them. If you have a motorcycle that you can not afford to replace or pay for repairs, you must carry collision coverage. The same goes for any other damage caused by anything other than a collision such as, fire, theft or vandalism. If you can not afford to repair or replace the damage out of your own pocket, then you must carry comprehensive coverage.

The next motorcycle event that we plan on attending is the “The Ride for the Heroes”, which benefits wounded veterans, on June 2, 2013. You can get more information about the ride by visiting their website at We will also be attending “Burlington Bike Night” on the 8th of June in Burlington, NJ from 4-10 p.m.

If you have any questions regarding this topic or any motorcycle insurance laws, please feel free to contact me at 1-888-292-5352 (888-CYCLE-LAW).

Original copyrighted content by
Home | Site Map