Underage DUI in Pennsylvania

Last month I wrote about motorcycle DUI (driving under the influence) penalties in Pennsylvania. If you missed it, I encourage you to read that article on DUI before you read this article.

This article is about Underage DUI, and underage drinking in general.

First, The Zero Tolerance Law

Those convicted of a DUI under the age of 21 years old (“underage”) are subject to the Commonwealth’s zero tolerance law.

The penalties:

  • Your driver’s license will be suspended for one year.
  • You will go to jail for two days to six months.
  • You will be fined up to $5,000, but at a minimum you will least $500 poorer.
  • Pay court costs.

Discouraging Underage Drinking

Woman with bike

Pennsylvania isn’t fooling around with their goal of reducing DUI accidents and deaths.

The Commonwealth is especially trying to stop the habit of DUI by enforcing tough laws for underage drinking regardless of whether you are driving (or riding a motorcycle).

In order to discourage minors from drinking at all, if you are caught drinking under 21 years old you will face these minimum penalties:
A $500 fine, payment of court costs, and driver’s license suspension.

Driver’s license suspension for underage drinking:

  • First offense suspension of 90 days.
  • Second offense suspension 1 year.
  • Third and any subsequent offense: 2 years each time.

What if you don’t have a driver’s license?

If you have not gotten your driver’s license before the time you are charged with underage drinking, the Commonwealth will not allow you to apply for a license until the above noted time period has expired.

Drinking and Riding

Thinking about taking a chance because you won’t be in a populated area? Regardless of the chances of getting caught based on location, it is a bad idea to ride a motorcycle while intoxicated.

Impaired judgement is a major cause of motorcycle accidents.

Any accident you have will cost you out-of-pocket for expenses such as medical bills, lost wages, and bike repair because no insurance company will pay once they discover you were under the influence at the time of your accident.

No motorcycle accident attorney will be able to help you with a settlement.

If you have any questions about motorcycle laws, please call me, Pennsylvania motorcycle accident lawyer Lee Gaber. 1-888-292-5352 (that’s 888-cycle-law).

Also, if you ride a motorcycle in Pennsylvania, please bookmark my home page or contact page now, in case you ever get into a motorcycle accident. Anyone involved in a bike accident should call a lawyer before they talk to an insurance representative.

Also, please consider entering my information into your phone contacts under Motorcycle Accident”. That way it will be easier to contact me should you ever need my services.

Have a safe and happy Independence Day!

Original copyrighted content by
Home | Site Map